UACCH is a Direct Loan School. William D. Ford Direct Students Loans will be certified for students that meet loan eligibility criteria as stated in the UACCH Catalog.
Most loans are based on need, as determined through the FAFSA form, while there are others available to all students. Loans, however, are a type of financial aid that does have to be repaid. The following gives a brief description of each loan and its corresponding need requirements.
FEDERAL SUBSIDIZED STAFFORD
Federal Subsidized Stafford Loans are loans available to students with financial need based on the EFC calculated by the Federal Processor. The government pays the interest on a subsidized loan while the student is in school and during the grace period (six months).
FEDERAL UNSUBSIDIZED STAFFORD
The Unsubsidized Stafford Loan is essentially the same loan as the Subsidized Stafford, with one exception: the loan begins accruing interest immediately upon issue. The interest can be capitalized (added to the principle of the loan) or can be paid each year. Paying the interest yearly is recommended, as the student does not accrue interest on the interest already accrued.
- Information for both the Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford loans:
- The grace period for these loans is six months from the date of the last class attended, regardless of whether or not the student graduates. This means that even if the student decides to take a semester off, he/she could still be held responsible for a loan payment.
- A maximum of $3,500 as a freshman and $4,500 as a sophomore may be borrowed. The financial aid award can be all Subsidized, all Unsubsidized, or a combination of the two, depending upon need. However, the award cannot exceed these yearly limits.
- The interest rate is variable and changes every July 1, not to exceed 8.25%.
- There are guarantee and origination fees.
- The student must sign a Promissory Note before the funds will be disbursed.
- All borrowers must complete the entrance counseling requirement before they receive their first disbursement.
- All borrowers must be enrolled 30 days before receiving their first disbursement.
Loans are not automatically awarded. Students interested must meet eligibility requirements listed in the UACCH College Catalog, final eligibility will be determined by the Financial Aid Director after census date each semester. An interested student must complete the Entrance Counseling. You may complete this requirement by using the online Entrance Counseling session at: https://www.dl.ed.gov/borrower/BorrowerLogin.jsp.