Technical Certificate in Paramedic
The EMT-Paramedic is an EMT whose advanced training enables him/her to provide more sophisticated care above the basic life support level in the pre-hospital setting and in various other medical facility environments such as Emergency Department or Intensive Care Unit. Paramedics receive enhanced studies which enable them to carry out Advanced Life Support (ALS) procedures.
Students seeking admission into the Paramedic Program must meet the following requirements prior to program application:
- Be 18 years or older.
- Be certified as an Arkansas EMT (see instructor if test results are pending).
- Have certification in American Heart Association HCP CPR.
- Score minimally COMPASS 62 Reading or appropriate English placement course
- Score minimally 19 on COMPASS Math exam or successfully complete the AAS Math remediation course.
- Applications are accepted after August 1.
- Students applying for transfer or advanced placement, contact the EMS Program Faculty or the Dean of Science and Health Professions.
- Paramedic Program application
- College placement scores (Compass scores)
- College transcript or transcript from EMT-Basic program
- Copy of EMT-Basic certification
- Copy of AHA BLS CPR Card
All applicants are notified by mail or telephone if he or she gained entrance into the program. If the number of applicants is greater than the number of positions, students will be required to take a comprehensive EMT Basic exam. Students will be ranked based on scores from this examination and completion of any course work leading toward the AAS Paramedic degree.
|Course Requirements||Credit Hours|
|EMPT 1003 and EMPT 1004 or Arkansas EMT Licensure**Must have Arkansas EMT Certification or enroll and successfully complete EMPT 1003 and EMPT 1004 Emergency Medical Technician prior to Paramedic coursework|
|EMSP||1215||Anatomy and Pathophysiology|
|EMSP||1221||Field Internship I|
|EMSP||1202||Clinical Rotation I|
|EMSP||1205||Medical Emergencies I|
|EMSP||1213||Medical Emergencies II|
|EMSP||1222||Paramedic Comprehensive Review|
|EMSP||1223||Clinical Rotation II|
|EMSP||1224||Field Internship II|
|EMST||1201||Advanced Cardiac Life Support|
|EMSP||1001||Paramedic Remediation (if required)|